City Manager Department
You don’t have to look far to see the frustration with the City Manager Department by some City Council members and residents feel toward the inaccurate and incomplete information provided by the City Staff at times. Warren Hutmacher, City Manager is in charge of all administration and bears the responsibility of all City Staff.
City Manager’s Department Budget:
- Total budget $1,314,320
- Personnel total budget $920,155
Warren Hutmacher’s Compensation Hovers Over Quarter Million per Year
- Base Salary: $193K
- 6-month salary upon termination
- $16K car allowance
- $7300 Bonus (possible)
- Full medical, dental & vision insurance
- Gym membership
- Short term disability
- Long term disability
- Death & Dismemberment insurance
- 5% 403B Match
- 12% Deferred Comp Profit Sharing
- The total 22% compensation benefits (17% City Pays) are tax-deferred and calculated off the base salary of $193K
Average base Salary for City Manager in Georgia for a comparable population is $154k. Therefore the benefit & compensation package is above and beyond compared to other municipalities.
With the $16k Car Allowance, that equates to $1569 a month.
- He can lease 2015 Jaguar XF Portfolio 4dr Sedan for $1500/month
- or 2015 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E400 4dr Sedan for $1600/month
So How Does he spend his time?
- Hire People
Since he took the helm in 2014, he has hired at least a dozen new employees, including 3 Assistant City Managers. City Hall is bursting so much, City Council members offices have been eliminated to accommodate the new employees. City Council now has lockers at City Hall.
- Poor Budgeting & Financial Forecasting.
From Mathematical errors in the $54 million dollar budget to poor planning. Most recently did not include 10 yr anniversary branding expenses in the budget. He recently petitioned Council to approve $100k from reserves for additional non-essential expenses. He eventually found the money elsewhere, when directed by the Council.
- Frequent Outsourcing and Costly Consultants & Contractors
ROW mowing contract, studies after studies are churned out, from the District to Public Works & Planning, etc. Also has been a lack of communication on “Return of Investment”, if the expenditure is worthwhile.
What’s on his Calendar from August 2015 – March 2016?
- 1 Traffic Meeting
- 6 Meetings with Developers
- 8 Economic Development Meetings
- Earliest office meeting was with Nazeera Dawood 7:30 am
- 3 meetings with Ron Green (CCWR Owner)
- 8 meetings regarding Cauley Creek/reuse water/sewer plant
- 3 meetings regarding the “Canal” for the District
- 29 ‘Lunch’ Meetings: Various staff, networking, chamber, etc
- 3 ‘Breakfast’ Meetings/Events
Average daily times of First Card Scan in City Hall
- August 2015 – 11:30am
- Sept 2015 – 10:30am
- Oct 2015 – 12pm
- Nov 2015 – 11am
- Dec 2015 – 12:30pm
- Jan 2016 – 12:30pm
There is the possibility of someone opening the door for him. But 6 months of similar times is a bit odd. This ‘door holding’ is also frowned upon from a security standpoint. It is how you account for who is in the building.
Source: City of Johns Creek
About a Closer Look
Finally, with the City on track to spending $90,000,000 this year, we will dive into each department and give you a Closer Look to how our tax dollars are being spent.