How to Appeal Your Property Taxes
Below are 10 Steps to REDUCE your Tax Bill. It is well known the property tax system is broken. In the meantime, here is How to Appeal Your Property Taxes.
1) File an online appeal here. This will schedule your appointment with the Board of Assessors. It will be some time before you hear back from them
1a) Contact County Appraiser, Dwight Robinson and request the comps they are using for your assessment.
2) Review your Property Records to ensure it is accurate, (fireplaces, beds, bathrooms, sq ft, etc)
3) Check for homestead deductions (homeowners & mostly for seniors)
4) Research recent sales in the Property Records of your neighborhood to find comparable homes
5) Review property assessments with the public records for comparables
6) Create a spreadsheet of comparables (3-5 Properties), and breakdown each property
- – same exterior facade
- – square foot comparison
- – land value/ lot size comparison
- – compare homes with more/less beds & baths, etc
7) Take pictures of the comparable homes
8) Set a reasonable value amount for your property
9) Prepare presentation: Create an easy to read packet to bring to your hearing
Front page – Picture of your house & the value “think” it is worth
Second Page – Spreadsheet with the breakdown of comparables
Next 5 pages – Pictures and info of each comparable property
Include pictures of the inside of your house, if it’s not upgraded
Pictures & details of backyard if it is sloped or devalued in some way
10) Attend your scheduled Hearing
Have 7 packet copies to pass out to each board member!
Be non-emotional and factual during the hearing
Present the data in a calm, logical manner.
Be sure to share and bookmark this post as a reference.
Neighbors, do you have any tips or suggestions?