John Flores to Run for Johns Creek City Council

Senior Development Officer for the Faith and Freedom Coalition, John Flores, announced Thursday that he will be a candidate for the open seat in an April special election for City Council of Johns Creek.

A special election for city council is being held April 18th to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of city councilman Bob Gray, who is running for Congress. “I’m running to bring new energy and real solutions to the Council,” said Flores. “Johns Creek has become the best place to live and raise a family in Georgia, and I want to work to keep it that way.” “Having served in leadership positions in both the private sector and the not -forprofit sector, I have helped lead efforts to maximize growth for several organizations while improving the efficiencies of those organizations as well. I’ll rely on that proven management experience and efficiency skills to improve Johns Creek.”

“I will work to strengthen our public-private partnership model of government. By injecting more private competition into our city services, we get the highest quality services at the best price for the taxpayer. I will also fight to keep taxes low and fight for real traffic solutions.”

“We need to ensure that we properly manage our greenspace and parks, helping to make sure that the public enjoys these assets. I will work to help local community organizations expand uses of parks in order to ensure that our community gets the best engagement possible,” said Flores.

John and his wife, Aimee, have been married for six years and have three children. The family lives in the DoubleGate subdivision of Johns Creek and are active members of Northpoint Community Church. John studied Political Science and Economics while attending Texas A&M University. Aimee attended Auburn University and then worked for ten years as an elementary school educator.

14 Responses to John Flores to Run for Johns Creek City Council

1. Anonymous says:

Has John Flores ever attended a Johns Creek city council meeting? When? Where did this sudden interest come from?

• Anonymous says:

Why is Chris Coughlin not honoring the affidavit he signed to not raise/spend more than $2,500? Where did this sudden change of principal come from?

2. Hi Anonymous, Chris Coughlin here. I did not sign the affidavit for this election so, therefore, I’m not required to honor that prescript. From my understanding, you’re attempting to question if my fiscal responsibility and efficiency has diminished. While I appreciate your effort, that is far from the case. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Johns Creek elections, but in the last election, I declared my candidacy, along with Jay Lin, over 5 months before the election. To run a campaign that economically last time, I emphasized my heart, hard work, hitting doors, cost-benefit analyses, novel best practices, and strong data analyses. However, most of these variables take time, which I had in spades before the election. For this election though, I only have 7 weeks and, thus, I would be disadvantaged from the hard work and hitting doors perspectives. Therefore, I decided to not worry as much about the affidavit and focus on getting out to the residents in that short time period. If spending $4,000 rather than $2,500 makes a big difference to you, then fine. However, this is still in the bottom decile of campaign spending in Johns Creek elections and I believe I’m still honoring my fiscally efficient/conservative principles for a second time now. Now that you have clarification and further transparency, would you not agree? Don’t forget to like my page at http://www.facebook.com/chriscoughlinjohnscreek and share it with your friends who like fiscal efficiency and responsibility in the public domain.

3. Narda says:

Does Flores has a website? I have not been able to find it and would like to read about him before I make my decision

4. Tired of the Bodker Bull says:

Come to the Medlock Bridge Clubhouse, Groomsbridge Road, Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and meet the candidates.

7:00 – 9:00 PM.

Both Mr. Coughlin and Mr. Flores will be there.

5. Tired of tax money spent the wrong way! says:

I’d like to know where the candidates stand on keeping any abortion mills out of Johns Creek.

• Editor says:

The council election is non-partisan.

With that said, the JCP believes both candidates are ‘Right-to-Life”.

6. GaGal says:

I was and am impressed with Chris’s hard work and dedication to Johns Creek and will vote for him again. I don’t know John Flores and he looks to be a great addition to Johns Creek, but he needs to pay his dues first.
    If only there were two spots open for them! We could get rid of at least one seat (if not two) that was “paid” for with a hefty campaign fund. That member certainly didn’t know the issues then or now and votes along certain lines.

• ICE says:

Without a doubt John Flores talks a good talk and he is very well spoken. However, I disagree with the fact that he would be a great addition. With that said, I am sure he is a nice guy but that does not mean he is a good candidate.

We barely know him and having watched politics long enough, just because someone can talk the talk does not mean he can walk it.

Flores does not seem to be a proponent of cutting taxes or reducing taxes if there is the ability or if there is a surplus. Because a surplus is a surplus to the city — and money taken from it’s own citizens. Regarding his comments for possible reduction of business taxes and also property taxes — it is by definition a tax increase if the property tax base goes up if the millage rate stays the same. (Bodker, Lin & Davenport have campaigned on not raising taxes, but still voted to keep the millage rates the same. Keep in mind, the tax base has gone up so in effect, we would have had a tax increase — Flores would have been in line with Bodker and, in effect, raised our taxes)

Flores was not familiar with:
      — the Comp Land Use Plan
      — JC Development Authority
      — Michigan U-Turn
      — Roundabouts

Not particularly familiar with the road widening issues that may plague our citizens at McGinnis Ferry and/or at 141.

Did not complete Comp Land Use Plan Survey.

I understand that he has 3 young kids and being a parent myself, I understand the demands of having young children. I find it a little disingenuous that he tells us that he did not have time to put his positions or his qualifications prior to his announcement to run because of his children’s illness. Having said that, if someone was serious about their run and about the his positions for the citizens, then he would have had been prepared; he would have had his ducks in a row; and he would have been knowledgeable and at least familiar with many of the issues that face our city today. I find Flores to be woefully unprepared.

It is quite interesting to look at Chris Coughlin’s facebook page and see the engagement he has with everyone who is asking questions or just showing support. Comparing it to Flores — there is little engagement and what little there was, Flores did not answer or dismissed the questions; he was a little antagonistic when voters were asking simple questions regarding websites or his positions.

Flores seems like a nice guy with a beautiful family. However, I don’t find Flores to be qualified or to be capable; hence, will not get my vote.

7. Suzi K says:

Ah……Chris C, has earned your vote. He attends many city council meetings, follows all the JC goingson, and has some great, new ideas…,..My hubby and I already voted…and we voted for Coughlin.

8. Suzi K says:

Can anyone tell me why there are soooo many “anonymous” postings???? People need to stop being :sheeple” and sign their names. This isn’t kindergarten….they have to stop being afraid of everything. Sheesh!

9. EJ Moosa says:

Suzi,

I cannot speak for all of the different people posting under anonymous, but there are “officials” who have no problem bad mouthing individuals who oppose their pet projects.

Comments